Last year’s big toy craze came from SpinMaster’s Hatchimals. I, myself, was caught in the whirlwind, resorting to purchasing one off of Ebay for 3x the retail price. Ugh! But no financial sores compare to when a toy actually harms a child. We found out about an unfortunate situation involving the Hatchimals bath bombs, so parents, be warned if your child receives one as a gift this holiday!
Jennifer Renee, from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, posted a warning on Facebook to parents, urging them not to buy Hatchimals bath bombs for their kids this Christmas. Her daughter, Willow, suffered painful injuries after using one of the bath bombs.
In her post, Jennifer claims that Willow soaked in the bath for only 30 seconds when her skin became inflamed. Willow was later diagnosed as having chemical burns and not an allergic reaction.
PSA! Do NOT buy this for your children!
Followed directions on package and placed in her bathtub. Thought it would be fun for her because there was a toy inside. After being in the water 30-45 seconds she stated her skin was hurting, upon looking she has received a chemical burn from a KIDS BATH BOMB. (no she was not holding it and she has used multiple different kinds of bath bombs and never had this reaction) Just a warning people.
Apparently the bath bomb company has licensed the Hatchimal brand for their line of bath bombs. Like many other lines of bath bombs, the bombs fizz and dissolve after they hit water, releasing fragrances, skin-conditioning oils, colorants, and other agents. The Hatchimal bath bombs include a Hatchimal figurine that is revealed once the bomb is fully dissolved.
The agents in question are sodium bicarbonate and citric acid, the ingredients that make the bomb fizz, same as dropping Alka-seltzer into your water. Additionally, D&C Red No. 33 has been mentioned as well, all speculation of course.
There appears to be altering viewpoints on what might have caused the burns/reaction – some speculating that it was just a reaction to the additives, not a chemical burn. Some are quick to discredit the claim, and there are quite a few articles out there questioning the post’s authenticity. In all honesty, there have been numerous positive reviews of the Hatchimal bath bombs. However, I call BS on discrediting the poster, I think we all understand slander pretty well. If a mom said the toy did that to her kid, I believe it. Was it a bad batch? A freak reaction to the agents?
A spokesperson from Spin Master responded, stating,
“Spin Master has been looking into the matter with the manufacturer and licensee to whom we license the Hatchimals brand. Safety is our top priority and we are deeply saddened to learn of the girl’s injuries. At this point, Global Brands Group has not found any indication of a product defect or manufacturing issue. Additionally, the product formulation has been subject to stringent safety testing and meets all industry standards.”
Although initially “looking into it,” Spin Master has yet to recall the product. They are investigating the batch number and the products are “likely” to be recalled in the latest update. In the meantime, these bath bombs are wrapped under the tree for many children on Christmas morning.
What do you believe? Have you had a problem with the Hatchimal bath bombs or similar reactions to bath bombs in general? Share with us in the comments.